Below are the audio links and outline short notes link to our 23rd Sept 2018 recording for sharing by all:
Outline short notes link: https://broteoh.com/wp-content/uploads/Teoh-180923-Poh-Lian-House-Dana-Outline.pdf
Shared with Dropbox
Bye! and with metta always,
Subject: Re: Outline for Sis Poh Lian House Dana
Dear Sister Mun Yuen and all,
Below is the edited outline short notes to our last Sunday’s house dana dated 23rd Sept 2018;
Sister Poh Lian’s House Dana dated 23rd Sept 2018 (Outline short notes)
1. One of the main objective of hosting (or having) such monthly house dana is to providean occasion for genuine and meaningful fellowship among kalyanamittas from the different classes to meet, to partake in whatever wholesomeness that arise, to share their cultivation experiences, to motive, counsel and support each other while walking the path of dharma and to have joy and peacefulness of mind.
2. Dharma is about understanding causes and conditions and how to accord and flow with them via acting with wisdom so that there is no karmic negativities and suffering (fear, worry, anxiety and anger etc.)
3. To free our mind from suffering, we need to understand the First Noble Truth of suffering (the 8 realities) which everyone who lives long enough will have to experience/confront in life. Also one need to understand the cause for its arising and the law of Karma that is link to it. Everything that we experience are mainly due to Karma but how we act or response to them is within our control or we do have a choice depending on ourunderstanding. Accept the reality of the moment because what you are now is mainlydue to your Karma and there are causes and conditions behind. So do not project yourfears or become emotional when things do not go your way because no amount ofjustification (or if…), fear, worries and anxiety can help you overcome your so called ‘problem’. They are not true action because it is just a thought or an idea (if…) hence nota reality. Instead, learn to straighten your views by recognizing that those are wrong (or negative) thoughts which will cause you suffering, hurt and harm you.
4. Another way of saying it is: ‘If you do not perceive a life situation with negativity or fearthen there is no problem. Problem only arise when we perceive a life situation with negativity.’ For things are just the way they are (a life reality) following First and Second Noble Truths, Karma, causes and condition, etc. If you can understand that whatever that arise or happened to you is a life reality then we can accept this reality and resolve it amicably with wisdom following Noble8-fold path and move on with your life. But if you perceive it with negativity or fear (via your delusion) then it will torments you and causeyou much suffering.
5. Just accept it (because it is a life’s reality) and then do what you need to do with understanding – to repent or ask for forgiveness in front of the Buddha & Bodhisattvas and determine not to repeat them again via following the advice of the Buddha to avoid all evil, do good and purify your mind. Keep precepts, cultivate virtues and meditate.Then invoke power of merits for turn around and to walk the path of dharma.
6. Focus on cultivating the right thoughts of generosity, kindness, gentleness, sincerity, honesty, contentment, respect, gratitude, gentleness etc. which will give rise to positive energy. This will boost your body’s immunity and free you from sicknesses. Then invoke power of merits to recover from the life predicament that one is facing.
7. Example, a close one may have passed away. Instead of being depressed, arise the good thought of gratitude towards the deceased and perform merits on behalf of her/him and then share the merits with her/him. With this understanding misery can be turned into wholesomeness and joy.
8. If the mind has emotions and wandering thoughts, know that they are not you. Just let them cease by themselves. Do not allow them to torment you. Your nature within is always peaceful and beautiful.
9. Buddha Dharma is the only ‘free lunch’ in this world. One only need to have faith, diligence and sincerity. Buddha Dharma is always the opposite of what people think in this world. Just cultivate without wanting to know until the heedfulness come, with no ulterior motive. The cultivation will free the mind and brings about wholesomeness (good Karma) to transform you (character wise, personality wise and wisdom wise) to turn your life around for the better. You can then be a blessing to all.
10. Discussion on a video (shared by Brother Teoh) on how to prevent and mitigate cancer. 5 common symptoms:
- Constipation (Toxin not excreted from system);
- High level of acidity in body fluid (wrong diet);
- Lack of proper quality sleep (Insomnia);
- Stress (Experience traumatic life situations caused by loss of love one, disease, separation etc.);
- wrong lifestyle (Don’t drink enough water, don’t exercise, don’t meditate, mind is heedless and deluded – having lot of wrong thoughts, etc.)
(Note: These above symptoms usually occur 6 months to 1 year before the cancer develops)
11. Do not act according to memory because they are mainly your wrong views, opinion and conditioning, your selfishness, your emotions, fear and phobias, scars of memories, belief systems, etc. Instead one should Act with wisdom to resolve all problems amicably via following Noble 8-Fold path.
12. Brother Teoh gave many good advises on how to deal with working stress and how toresolve work problem. Accept your boss for what he/she is. He/she is the way he/she is so no need to fear or get angry with him/her and one does not need to risks one’s healthor spend one’s youth (vital phase of one’s life) slogging unnecessarily for a salary out of fear of losing that job. Must know your rights as an employee. Work smart then you don’t have to work hard. Please do listen to the recording for more detail.
(Above draft was prepared by Sister Mun Yuen)
Bye! and with metta always,Teoh