Below are the audio links to our 25th Sept 2018 Tuesday class recording for sharing by all:
*If you missed Bro Teoh’s Tue Talk on 25 Sept, you can download at:*
https://broteoh.com/wp-content/uploads/Teoh-Tue-180925.mp3 or at:
Outline short notes audio link: https://broteoh.com/wp-content/uploads/Short-Notes-Teoh-Tues-180925.pdf
Sent: 28 September 2018 07:13
Subject: Re: 25 September 2018 Tuesday Class outline Short Notes
Dearest Soo Yee and all,
Below and attached are the edited outline short notes for sharing by all:
Brother Teoh’s 25 September 2018 Tuesday Class outline Short Notes
Book Reference: The Buddha and His Teachings – The Working of Kamma (Chapter 20, Page 376)
1. 10 meritorious deeds in everyday life (kusala kamma):
- Generosity / Giving (dāna),
- Morality / Keeping precepts/virtue (sīla),
- Meditation / training the mind to be in full awareness (bhāvanā)
- Reverential Salutation / Paying due respect to those who are worthy of it (apacāyana),
- Service / Helping others perform good deeds (veyyāvacca).
- Transference of merit (pattidāna),
- Rejoicing in others’ good actions (anumodanā),
- Hearing the doctrine (dhamma savana),
- Expounding the doctrine/truth (dhammadesanā) and
- Straightening one’s own views (ditthijjukamma).
2. 3 important factors wholesome to have while performing meritorious deeds:
- Done with joy throughout or at all time – before, during and after (Somanassa-sahagatam)
- done with wisdom (Naya-sampayuttam)
- unprompted/spontaneous (Asankharikam)
3. Briefly run through of 5 jhanic factors, 5 RūpaJhānas and 4 Arūpa Jhānas from the text.
4. [— Recording time 1:36:16 —]
Question: Sister Han asked about how can one navigate between wholesome and unwholesome karma (when one is still not skilful) in the context of counselling andhelping others?
Answer: When one is not skilful (without clear understanding/wisdom), do not be too eager to help or share:
- Beware of the over-eagerness to help
– usually this desire/craving to help others comes from your ego
– it is self-delusion that can condition this type of karma
- Beware of giving due to pity: – usually end up being a good-hearted-fool. The wise one only helps when there is condition to help. Done with understanding following conditions, not forced or motivated by one’s emotion.
- Be honest, sincere, and upright (to avoid unnecessary karma):
- If you are not sure then just be sincere and say you do not know. But if you still want to advice then you can say, ‘basing on my understanding now, I belief the meaning of the teaching is ……’ or “This advice may not be suitable for all, but from my experience and current understanding, I feel for you what may help is……”
- Don’t carelessly quote what others say; especially when you are unsure/without clear comprehension of the subject matter.
5. In this condition world/existential world, one must accord and flow with wisdomthose conditions that arise :
- When the supporting conditions are not present (e.g. timing is not right or there is no condition) then do not
forcefully impose your views, advice, or help (especially when the party you want to help is not willing to listen).
- The below rather important Diamond sutra’s 4 lines stanza should be clearly comprehended:
YI QIE YOU WEI FA,
RU MENG HUAN PAO YING, RU LU YI RU DIAN,
YING ZUO RU SHI GUAN.’
All are conditioned dharma (within the conditioned world)
They are like dreams, illusions, bubbles and shadows;
Like dew-drops and a lightning flash;
You should contemplate it thus.
(Above outline short notes draft was prepared by Sis. Soo Yee)
Bye! and with metta always,
You must log in to post a comment.