Below are the audio links to our 17th July 2018 Tuesday class recording for sharing by all. Also listed below are the outline short notes for sharing by all:
BROTHER TEOH OUTLINE SHORT NOTES FOR TUESDAY CLASS dated 17th JULY 2018
Reference text: THE BUDDHA AND HIS TEACHINGS – CHAPTER 19 Page 348 – 351
1. WHAT IS KARMA? “Volition is Karma” – volition is mental intention (moral and immoral volition via thoughts, actions and speeches).
Any bad mental intentional action, speech or thought resulting in sufferings or harm or death will give rise to bad karma and vice versa as expressed by the Buddha via his following Dhammapada verses:-
- Dhammapada verse 1 : “If one speaks or acts with a wicked mind, pain or suffering will follows one as the wheel that follows the hoof of the ox that draws the cart”
- Dhammapada verse 2 : “If one speaks or acts with a pure mind (free of the 3 evil roots of Greed, Hatred and Delusion), happiness will follows one like the shadow that never leaves you”
2. Sister Chwee suggested that each and every Kalyanamitta should be given a chance to share own their experiences, understanding and outlook of karma.
3. Sister Qunni, Adeline, Poh Lian and Mei Hsiang shared their experiences.
4. Each and every one of us is responsible for our own karma (we are born of, heir to our karma) as shared by sister Saw Hoon.
5. Bro. Chai also shared his experiences on the law of Karma. He stressed the importance of having perseverance, sincerity, faith and wisdom when confronting karma. One will reaps what one sows. If we plant the seeds of wholesomeness we will reap the fruit of wholesomeness. Likewise if we plant the seeds of evil we will reap the fruit of evil for Good begets Good and Evil begets Evil.
(Above draft outline notes were prepared by Sister Quinni.)
Bye! and with metta always,
Shared with Dropbox