Sent: 29 March 2019 02:41
Subject: Re: Tuesday Class 26 March 2019 outline short notes
Brother Teoh’s March 26 2019 Tuesday Class Short Notes. Book Reference: The Buddha and His Teachings – PLANES OF EXISTENCE Chapter 27, Page 435 – 444)
1. There are 31 planes of existence which beings manifest according to their moral and immoral kamma. Of these planes, 4 are states of unhappiness or Kama Dugati and they are:
Hell realm, with endless suffering,
Hungry ghosts (Peta) realm, dominated by greed. Can only receive merits transferred from their relatives (Tirokudda Sutta)
Animal realm, dominated by ignorant.
Asuras or demon realm, dominated by anger.
2. The Happy planes (Kama Sugati) are:
Human Realm with both happiness and pain
6 heavenly realms – abode of devas
(Together with the 4 unhappy planes, they are known as KAMALOKA, sensual realms or planes)
3. Brahma Realms -16 realms of Rupaloka, resided by those who practise jhana
4. Arupaloka (formless) Realms
5. Sis Padmasuri enquired which plane would those taking the Bodhisattva vows be reborn.
Bro Teoh replied that they can be reborn in any realm but they prefer mainly either the human, animal or deva realms.
6. Sis Han asked if it is easier to meditate without form. Logically there is no suffering without form. But devas enjoy life so much that they normally don’t have the conditions to think of cultivating.
7. Sis Adeline shared a little about her experiences during the recent Cameron Highlands Retreat.
8. Bro Teoh commented that the 5th patriarch taught that All Dhammas arise from Self Nature and we have to know how to use our mind (especially our mundane mind) but not be deceived or deluded by it.
(Above draft is by Sister Yoon Chun)
You must log in to post a comment.